Monday, February 25, 2008

MOM

When our wee ones were little and beginning to talk...for them to say this word would be music to our ears. We get so excited when they start playing around with sounds and babbling ma ma da da. When you can tell that they have called you mama for the first time because they have associated that word with you and not any moving object that happens to pass by them is worth picking up the phone and calling da da about. When that sweet child is so excited to see you and comes running to you squelling mom, it melts your heart.

So what happens????

Why is it that a short time later when you hear mom it is no longer a melodious sound to your ears but usually being yelled because the sibling is antagonizing them in some way. How can it get to the point that you have heard MOM yelled so many times in one day that you look at your children and say "I've changed my name, it's no longer mom". (yes, I have done this) My two are now 12 and 9 and it seems like they can't start a sentence with me without saying MOM first. It is driving me CRAZY! We are the only two in the room and they don't usually have the habit of talking to themselves, so why do they feel it is necessary to say MOM every time they have a question or want to state a fact? thin about your conversations during the day with a co-worker or a friend. If you said their name when began each statement, question, or announcement; you would find yourself alone a lot more. I long for the days when it was an excited sound rather than a word now punctuated with huffs and grunts.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I ALWAYS tell people that I am so glad Caroline calls me "Amy Self". I love it, and it cuts the "mom" in half.