Yesterday was the last day of school before the Christmas Holidays for the kids. I had to do a site change on Emma in my office that morning because hers was coming off. The kids started out with a school choir program and then back to their rooms for the class parties. I made sure that I was there for Emma's to count her carbs and make sure that she bolus' for them. Emma is bad about not pricking before she eats something. This to her is the worst part of diabetes, the constant pricking. When we are at home it Todd or myself that does it since she has to at school. Anyway, I counted up the carbs, as best as I could, and then went to visit Nolan in his class. In my opinion they waited way to late to let the kids out, I truly think that the teachers were happier than the kids! After the parties the kids and I went to look at a house that was for sale near the school. I'm always on the lookout for a place closer to work, you never know when God is going to put the right one in front of you. Well, about halfway through the house Emma kept saying that her stomach was hurting. She then started to cry to go home. I hurried through the rest of the house and went back to the car to check her blood sugar. She was HI = this means that it is so high the meter won't even register it and the meter goes to 600. (NOT GOOD) We hurried to the office to check her ketones (she is usually running some when her stomach hurt) and she was at .9 which was still in the mild range. We gave her a correction for a 600 blood sugar count and headed home. I checked her sugar again thinking she would have come down some because of the correction and she was still HI. The second thing to do is check the site to make sure that it is working. When I looked at it the cannula that is suppose to be up under her skin delivering the insulin had some out, this has only happened once before. I changed her site and checked her ketones again. This time she was 1.6. I got a syringe and gave her a shot of insulin the old fashioned way. It took two of these before her ketones went to 0.0. In the past if her ketones had gotten to 1.6 we would have been in the ER immediately. After having gone there twice before and spending no less then 6 hours, it's easier to see what we can do at home first and monitor her closely.
We are off to a skating party for a classmate today...later.
This is a picture of the cannula (it's wrapped around the needle and a little shorter than the needle) that goes into the booty. The ones that go into the stomach are longer. (I'll figure out one day how to make the pictures clear)

This is not a happy "Hi, how ya doin'?" This is a HI we hate to see when we check our blood sugars.
No comments:
Post a Comment