Monday, December 10, 2007

Holiday Fun

We have a lot of family traditions around the Holiday season. One of them is making several different cookies/goodies from when I was a little girl. Sour orange balls, bourbon balls, and chocolate covered pretzels are among some of them. For extra credit Emma could make something and bring it to the class. The requirement was that she did all of the measuring herself. She decided that the sour orange balls sounded good. This recipe only has 4 ingredients but we managed to mess the whole kitchen up in the process.



Ok, some of it was my mess. The whiskey goes with the bourbon balls that I was making. Here is the recipe if anyone is interested in making them.
Bourbon Balls
1 package (6 oz.) Chocolate chips. - melted
3 tablespoons Karo Syrup, white
1/2 cup bourbon
2 1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1/2 cup powdered sugar (10X)
1 cup nut meats

Mix together ingredients, let stand for 30 minutes Form into balls 1 inch size. Roll in powdered sugar or colored granulated sugar. Put in a covered can for 3 days before serving.

hint: putting more bourbon in the mix doesn't make it taste better (even if it sounds like it should). My dad also claims that the cheaper the whiskey the better.
The best way to get the vanilla wafer crumbs is to use a blender. I usually double my batch and use 2 boxes of wafers but i think one will do for a single batch.

This has always been a big hit with anyone I've fixed it for...my dad already has people putting in orders for containers!
Enjoy.

This is what the sour orange balls (left) and bourbon balls (right) look like when they are done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not the Makers Mark!!!!!!! That's the good stuff! If you're cooking, use the $5 a gallon stuff...

Amy said...

Bourbon balls. I thought you didn't like them.....
Maybe I'm the only one that can not stand them.
I like the bourbon...I'll just drink that.